What are the 4 main areas of digital transformation?
Learn the common way to divide digital transformation into these four key areas.
There is no hard and fast rule about the four main areas of digital transformation. Some experts and companies define it one way, others another. But the following is a common way to divide up this subject into four key areas:
- Business process. This is where a company brings in technology that allows it to transform its processes, services, and models. A good team plays a critical role in making this happen.
- Business model. This is where the company uses new technology to both improve customer experience and drive the revenues of the business higher.
- Domain. In this aspect of digital transformation, the business moves from one area of expertise into something new, like a product or service it has not sold before. Exploiting the technology associated with digital transformation opens new opportunities.
- Cultural/ organizational. This crucial component of digital transformation involves making sure everyone in the company is on the same page and working together. This is especially important in companies where departments and teams often fight for scarce resources, and thus may not be used to cooperating as much as is necessary to make digital transformation succeed.
Other companies may divide digital transformation into different categories. But in most cases, these categories are focused on common themes, such as:
- Using technology to create new efficiencies
- Empowering employees throughout the company to give their best to the project
- Opening new opportunities that would not exist without digital transformation
- Serving customers by giving them a better experience
It’s what we do.